Numbershark is a computer program to help anyone improve their understanding and use of numbers. The program teaches and reinforces numeracy using 45 carefully designed games. There are over 500 topics to choose from.
- The topics address each of the number operations
+ – x ÷ plus fractions, decimals and simple percentages, in very gradual steps.
- The topics are quick to access and clear examples are given on screen. Numbershark gives a fresh set of ‘sums’ each time a topic is selected.
- The wide variety of games and options give many ways to practise the same work and to promote both the understanding and the memorising of number facts, whilst maintaining interest.
- The games are excellent for use on an interactive whiteboard and children enjoy playing the games on the big screen. An on-screen keypad is provided with the program.
- The program has an A4 size manual with advice on use of the program. There are also on-screen help boxes for every game and pop-up teaching notes.
The program addresses many of the difficulties which lead students to dislike maths. These include poor short term memory, limited attention span and poor sequencing skills.
To help those with dyslexia and dyscalculia many of the games give a visual idea of what is happening when you add, subtract, multiply or divide. Fractions and decimals are also shown visually. Numbers are shown as abacus, digits, objects, number pad, rods, number line and 100 square to help basic understanding.
Most games have no time limit so students have space to work out their number strategy and to build confidence. Variable speeds and other options help to match individual needs.